Gloucester Daily Times Debate on Abortion (96), September 7, 1989
No Longer Can You Stand and Watch
Surely there are others besides myself in the community who feel disenfranchised, disappointed and angry that their Representative to Congress, Nick Mavroules, does not support his constituency (which is 60 to 60 percent pro choice), and who refuses to change his position regarding reproductive freedom for women.
Have you been lulled into complacency in these last few years by Mavroules’ admirable positions on issues like nuclear disarmament, and social services legislation? Did you give him your vote because he “Supported the E.R.A.?” Or because he ran unopposed and “seemed” like he voted in support of women’s rights?
Well … I did (vote for him), and I am disappointed and angry that Rep, Mavroules assumes that he can ignore the populace and allow his personal beliefs to override the majority vote.
If you consider your rights and those of the women of this district jeopardized and devalued by Mavroules’ actions, there are steps you can take:
- Write to Rep. Mavroules, and put him on notice that you can no longer support him, or vote for him. Tell him how you feel about his decision to strip women of their right to determine their own reproductive destiny.
- Get active within the community. Join your local Democratic City Committee.
- Tell everyone you know about Mavroules’ untenable position.
- Join the Cape Ann chapter of the National Organization for Women at the Sawyer Free Library on Sept. 7 at 6 p.m., to hear the Mass, President of N.O.W. Jennifer Jackman, discuss strategies for political action and change in Massachusetts. Jackman will also share the latest information and updates concerning the October March on Washington, a “March to Save Women’s Lives.”
- Join your local chapter of the National Organization for Women. Attend meetings. New members are always welcome, and needed.
No longer can anyone who values reproductive freedom for women stand by and watch while their rights are compromises, their voices ignored.
Peg Leeco, 4 Cherry Hill Road