The Vision of the TEI Cohort (teicohort.org)
The Mission of the Gospel to the Whole Culture
John C. Rankin
With the passing of my youngest son into eternal life on January 24, 2020 (see jeremyrankin.com), and as my soul gradually recovers, I will walk through the rest of my years gently and with a gaping hole in my heart, but also with greater firmness in advancing the Gospel into a deeply broken world.
Zoom meetings have resumed:
Every Monday evening, 8-9:15 p.m. (EDT)
Every Saturday morning, 8-9:15 a.m. (EDT)
- Go to www.zoom.us and click on Join a Meeting (at upper right).
- Or, if by phone, call Zoom at 1.669.900.6833 or 1.408.638.0968 end enter appropriate Meeting I.D. and password below.
- For Monday nights, the Meeting I.D. is #950-213-618 and the password is #200955.
- For Saturday mornings, the Meeting I.D. is #469-885-376 and the password is #315311.
- Saturday, April 4: The theology, politics and science of the Coronavirus. Any and all questions always on the table.
- What is the definition of a virus?
- Whom does the Coronavirus must adversely affect and why?
- How accurate are the various predictions concerning the spread and dangers of the virus? How soon might we know better?
- What is the wisest way to quarantine — widespread or targeted?
- What are the unintended consequences and/or dangers of widespread quarantine — spiritual, social, physical, psychological, financial and political?
- What are some positive benefits such as a sabbath rest from the rat race?
- What is the difference between allopathy and naturopathy? Does it make a difference?
- How well do we know and take care of our own immune systems?
- What is the definition of “social distancing” and what are the biblical approaches to this matter?
- Are there any eschatological ramifications?
- What level of hysteria is growing, who and what feeds it, and what are its dangers?
A final note: The pollution of air and water is remarkably down across the globe. Thus a larger subject presents itself. Namely, 2 Chronicles 36:21 refers to how the Babylonian Exile gave a seventy year sabbath to the land that Israel failed to do across 490 years as they disobeyed the Law of Moses. Any ethical parallels in today’s scenario?
The vision of the TEI Cohort is below, transformative and most doable with the proper theological foundation.
- There is no financial threshold required for membership in the TEI Cohort, only an embrace of its vision. For those able, we simply ask for generous support as the grace of God leads you (click here). Thank you!
TEI Cohort Members affirm:
1] The Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) and the New Testament are fully trustworthy in all they affirm.
2] The biblical order of creation (Genesis 1-2) establishes trust through the covenant of the marriage of one man and one woman for one life-time, and in parenthood. Accordingly, the building of a healthy, trustworthy and free society follows, and as Jesus explicitly ratifies.
3] The Tanakh and the New Testament intrinsically advance religious, political and economic liberty for all people equally.
4] This is a Christian initiative, and our Jewish friends, along with any others else who affirm the biblical definition of marriage, trust and liberty for the well-bring of the social order, are welcome to join and participate as interested.
Wherever the Light is present, the darkness is dispelled — theologically, physically, ethically and spiritually. The Light of the world is Jesus, and he calls his disciples also to be the light. How well do we live in the Light? There are six major arenas in culture where self-assigned elitist power tramples the religious, political and economic freedoms for the rest of the social order: 1) government, 2) education, 3) media, 4) business, 5) science and 6) the arts (acronym = GEM + BSA). Top-down power is an idol pursued in these arenas. And there are two prior arenas where biblical Christians have their identity and focus: the family and the church. Most of us do our best to keep these two in good order, and yet, the elitist and demonic powers in the six cultural arenas oppose us fiercely. We are called by Jesus to be salt and light in the whole culture, so how do we go about it? This is the vision for the TEI Cohort.
Under the rubric of religious, political and economic liberty, and as they all interface as well, the TEI Cohort seeks to advance the following initiatives. Some are in place, and some await the right season, resources and people. It is through engagement in the mission field of politics and political culture that all else is energized. TEI members can participate at any chosen level.
2] Theological Education: The Mars Hill Forum series (marshillforums.org).
3] Theological Education: Seminar: Spiritual Warfare in the Face of Political Evil (click on teipray.org); other seminars as well.
4] Theological Education: The TEI Publishing House (teipublishinghouse.com).
5] Theological Education: The TEI Orchestra and Sacred Choir (teiorchestra.org), classical worship with a missionary trajectory.
6] Political: The Emancipation Party (.us).
7] Political: The TEI Pro-Life Coalition (teiprolife.org).
8] Business: A Biblical Alternative to Social Media: A Vision that Appeals to all People Who Seek to Love God and Neighbor.
9] Business: TEI Care (teicare.org) is a radically biblical alternative to the health insurance industry.
10] Business: The TEI Bank (teibank.com) is rooted in biblical simplicity, transparency and trust, with economic cognates that will prosper all members well.
11] Business: The Network of Covenant Islands (covenantislands.org), an economic epiphany that came in the night in Uganda.
12] Business: TEI Jubilee (teijubilee.org) is a biblically structured strategy to see debt release for all Christians and other interested persons.
13] Business: TEI Refuge (teirefuge.org) is an economic cognate that serves the greatest possible reduction of the prison population, serving genuine reintegration into a healthy social order.
14] Business: Jesus, in the Face of His Enemies (book by John Rankin) can be made into a Passover Week film (jfemovie.org); and eventually the whole Bible can be put on film pace the theological foundations of the TEI.
15] Business: The TEI Logo, in its theological integrity, undergirds all endeavors in building the kingdom of God in religious, political and economic contexts.